UK traders can profit from the price movements of commodities like gold without actually owning any gold. The most popular way to do this is to derivatives trading – CFD trading with gold. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are essentially temporary orders to buy/sell a pre-stated amount of gold. Profits and losses are determined by changes in the gold price while the contract is active. All gold CFDs have a contract duration.
Here at AvaTrade, it is quick and easy to trade gold online. We are fully regulated to offer real-money gold trading to our UK clients. Among others, you will enjoy these benefits:
- We offer competitive spreads on all gold trading activity
- We offer leverage of to allow for bigger gold trades
- Trade on the powerful MetaTrader 4 platform
- Enjoy full mobile functionality with AvaTradeGO around the clock
- Traders can profit on gold price movements on the upside or downside
The Rich and Fascinating History of Gold Trading
Gold has been mined since prehistoric times. This precious metal was initially found in small pieces known as nuggets at the bottom of rivers. Gold demand increased so sharply that the ancient Egyptians began mining it as far back as 2000 BC. Gold has been used for millennia as a trusted form of money for trading purposes.The gold standard was a monetary system whereby countries would back up their currency with an equivalent amount of gold. The gold was held in the Reserve Bank of each country, since countries accepted gold as an actual currency. The UK left the gold standard at the start of WWI, and soon after, many countries followed suit.
Investors and traders have access to several types of gold options, including:
- Gold Coins and Gold Bullion – bullion is the term used to describe a group of precious metal. It is measured in bars, and has a specific weight.
- Gold Certificates – these resemble bank notes, and they began in the 17th century. Gold certificates serve as evidence of gold ownership. These can be transferred much like cash banknotes. Nowadays, there are several banks that issue gold certificates, and they reflect a quota of gold coin or gold bullion.
- Gold Futures – gold futures are contracts that indicate how much gold will be delivered in the future at a predetermined price. These gold futures contracts are used by UK and other investors to manage price risks. They are all traded at centralized exchanges, and contracts provide greater flexibility and leverage than trading actual gold by itself.
- Gold ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) – since gold is expected to generate good returns over time, ETFs have been established. These funds are managed by experts in gold trading. They have the potential to offer much better returns on gold investments than a trader could generate on his/her own. The gold price influences the performance of ETFs.
How to trade gold
- Open a trading account at Avatrade
- Fund your account to have a sufficient trading budget
- Choose the desired position size
- Select leverage
- Open a Long (buy) or Short (sell) position according to your analysis
Gold Exchange Info
Gold markets are closely correlated with currency markets, macroeconomic factors, and geopolitical events. Multiple factors come into play when determining the price of gold:
- The MT4 gold symbol is GOLD
- The spread on gold trading is $0.50
- The minimum trade size for gold is 1
- Gold is traded on the Nymex exchange
- Gold trades between 11 PM and 9:59 PM
- The margin requirement for gold is 0.50
- Gold can be traded in increments of 0.01
Ways to trade gold at AvaTrade
For an investment of just , UK traders can begin trading gold and other precious metals online. AvaTrade is a fully trusted and licensed UK brokerage, with an exceptional reputation. We have been operational for 11 years, and our gold trading experts are standing by to assist you every step of the way.
Among others, you will be able to access a wide range of educational tools and resources, and enjoy full use of all trading benefits exclusive to AvaTrade.
A wide range of trading solutions is available, including multiple trading platforms and automated trading solutions to meet your trading needs. UK traders are assured of the perfect match between their skills and trading style, and the gold markets.
& the benefits of trading with a regulated, award-winning broker!
Trading Gold is a Breeze
AvaTrade makes it easy for you to trade gold online. If you have knowledge of FX markets, you will have no problem trading gold. The unit of measurement for gold is troy ounces, and this is how gold is quoted against currencies. Since gold is a dollar-denominated asset, it is quoted against the USD. This is similar to how currency exchange rates are presented.
What Influences Gold Trading Strategies?
There are many factors impacting the price of gold, demand for gold, and the gold market. These include the following:
- Currency Fluctuations – the USD, or US dollar, is an important determinant of the price of gold. When the USD is strong, demand for gold decreases. When the USD is weak, demand for gold increases. There is an inverse relationship between the USD and gold.
- Supply and Demand Factors – Jewellery manufacturing and production constitutes 50% of global demand in gold. Investment accounts for an additional 40%. When demand increases, and supply is low, the price rises. However, if supply increases and demand is low, the price will drop.
- Market Volatility – market movements have a strong effect on the price of gold. Since gold is regarded as a safe-haven asset, when stock markets are performing poorly, investors flock to gold. The opposite is also true.
- Geopolitical Uncertainty – any instability in the financial markets, or in the political arena can cause traders to rush to gold. This will drive up prices.
Gold is considered a safe-haven asset for investors. It is always advisable to include gold in your financial portfolio, as a means of hedging against uncertainty in other areas. There is an inherent degree of risk when trading gold, and UK traders should be aware of this.
Gold Trading Tips?
- Gold is quoted as XAU against the USD. XAU is the ticker code for gold.
- Price is an important determinant of gold demand. This is especially true with commodities like gold, which are sensitive to price fluctuations.
- Currencies like the Japanese Yen (JPY) and gold are comparable. Both the regarded as safe-haven assets when markets are volatile, or unstable. Therefore, both gold and the JPY often move in tandem with one another.
Register an account at AvaTrade UK & enjoy high leverage and the benefits of trading with award-winning broker!